Monday, December 14, 2009

Tools of the trade


One thing I learned from building a house is you need the proper tools to get the job done. This is also my first lesson from Tyler. His first chapter is all about the tools you need to cook like a pro. I also learned that I'm lacking in the tool area. I have all the usual stuff that anyone uses but I don't have any fancy tools. I want to be fancy.


I've compiled a list of things that I am lacking in my kitchen:

*professional grade knives - but these can wait for now.

*slotted fish spatula - sounds sketchy....
*various wooden spoons - I probably need more than one, right?
*kitchen string - is this to tie the kids to their chairs when they won't finish their food?
*pepper mill
*chopsticks
*electric rice steamer - my sister got me one of these and I used it so much that it broke. For the record, since then I put on my big-girl panties and have mastered the art of cooking rice on the stove. This used to be a real problem for me. There is hope!
*one 10" tart pan
*bamboo steamer - any ideas what this is?
*food processor - yeah. I need one of these.
*immersion blender - Dang, I used to have one of these and gave it away.

*whetstone - probably for my amateur-grade knives.

Last night I couldn't sleep well. In my journeys through late-night infomercial surfing, I came across an ad for this:
It's called an AeroGarden and I want it.

Most, if not all of Tyler's cooking contains fresh herbs. An AeroGarden grows fresh herbs during those long trying winter months in just 10 days!
AeroGrow founder Michael Bissonnette said, "Wouldn't it be great to have fresh herbs, flowers and veggies growing in your home, any time of year?". Why yes, Michae! Yes
it WOULD be great! I'm sold. Now just to sell Ryan on it. I know he hasn't gotten me a Christmas present yet.

Anyway that's my list. I wish Ikea was closer. I would for sure be much fancier if Ikea was more accessible.
..

2 comments:

Bex said...

And you need a mandolin (not the instrument) I can't beleive I lived with out mine for so long. It's well used and loved. Get one.

Oh and new dishes to present you beautiful creations on.

Jackie said...

What? Who would tie Jordyn...I mean kids... to a chair if she won't stop getting off the chair before she's done. Oh wait...maybe that was us. (it sounds worse than it actually was, and she learned her lesson):)